ourchurch-history-header
History of Jubilee Church 禧年堂简史

Jubilee Church is a member of the Presbyterian Church in Singapore. The Church has been serving the community in the Tiong Bahru and Outram area (and beyond) for more than a century.

In 1881, Rev.J.A.B.Cook of the English Presbyterian Mission came to Singapore after learning the Teochew dialect in China. He immediately took charge of the congregation at Bukit Timah (later known as the Glory Presbyterian Church) which was set up by Benjamin P. Keasberry of the London Missionary Society and Tan See Boo in 1857. As the church grew, the congregation decided to plant new churches since some church members lived too far from the church. One of the extending groups, the Hokkien speaking group started meeting at Hong Lim market. The year was 1883 and Singapore was an immigrant society under British rule. The church later gathered in the Eastern School in Ansiang Hill, and by 1898, it had installed her first Chinese moderator, the Rev.Tay Sek Tin.

The first church building was building was built in Tanjong Pagar in 1904 and was completed in 1905; it was named the Tanjong Pagar Church. As the congregation grew, the church again erected a new building in Outram Road in 1939. It then adopted the name Outram Road Tanjong Pagar Church. Meanwhile, some Tanjong Pagar residents still worshipped in the old building. In January 1946, the name “Jubilee Church” was officially introduced in conjunction with the then forthcoming fiftieth anniversary (1954 ) and to celebrate the end of the Japanese occupation. In the 1960’s, the church premises in Outram Road could no longer accommodate the increasing congregation again. As the government intended to acquire the Outram site, the present location (located between Outram Road MRT station and Tiong Bahru MRT station) was offered in exchange and the building was erected in 1973.

As the church journeys into the 21st century, the church leadership was then vested in a local pastoral team headed by the Rev. Tan Tiong Ann. The faithful preaching of the Word of God and the administering of sacraments are the foci of the church. The challenge of the current leadership is the task of defining the role of the church in the service of God and men in the midst of rapid social changes in Singapore. Our social outreach includes a Kindergarten, a Community Service Centre and English classes for Chinese nationals.

________________________________________________________________________

禧年堂为新加坡长老大会属下之一堂会。

其历史可追溯至英国长老会宣教部之新加坡宣道工作。该会阁约翰牧师在中国学习潮语后,于一八八一年开始在新加坡负责位於武吉知马之教会(长老会荣耀堂之前身)。该教会于一八五七年,由伦敦宣教会纪礼博牧师及华人传道陈诗武合作设立。由于会友人数增加,该会便向外植堂,以免远地会友奔波之苦。一八八三年该教会的闽南藉会友,开始在芳林巴刹聚会,向该区华人传福音,由阁约翰牧师及杨井象传道负责。稍后该新教会借用安祥山东方学校聚会,并于一八九八年按立郑聘廷牧师为首任会正。

一九零四年本堂会建第一所礼拜堂在丹戎巴葛,新堂于一九零五年落成,名为丹戎巴葛礼拜堂。因会友人数增加,于一九三九年在欧南路另建新堂,也改名为欧南路

丹戎巴葛教会。新堂完成后,仍有一批丹戎巴葛居民继续在旧址崇拜。一九四六年本堂会再度改名为禧年堂,以志日治之结束及建第一所礼拜堂的五十周年金禧纪念。到了六十年代,欧南路礼拜堂又不敷使用,且政府已征用该地段,于是本堂于一九七一年在欧南路现址建堂,此地段为政府交换之地,新堂于一九七三年元月正式启用。

本堂会已成立超过一百年,步入廿一世纪,本堂会治堂重任也落在本地的教牧团肩上,由陈长安牧师主导,教牧秉着长老会精神,传讲上帝的道并施行圣礼。当前急务是思考教会在社会变迁中的角色,以便更有效事奉上帝、服事人。我们的社区工作包括一间幼儿园,一间社区服务中心,以及为中国移民开办的英文班

PDF version of our 120 years of history (bilingual 中英文版本): Jubilee 120 years History (1203)